Troubleshooting MAMP Pro on Mountain Lion

How I got MAMP Pro 2.1.1 to run on Mac OS 10.8.2

MAMP logoBACKSTORY
I’ve run MAMP for many years, then upgraded to MAMP Pro in 2010. It worked fine on my old MBPro Unibody. I recently upgraded to a new MBPro with Mac OS 10.8.2. Moved everything over with Migration Assistant. Updated license keys here and there, generally everything worked OK. Until today, when I upgraded MAMP Pro.

I upgraded and installed the new version hoping it would just work, as it had done so well before. Though I can hack UNIX a little bit, I have to read a lot of docs to help get me there. That’s why I love MAMP. It needs some config, right at my level of geek-ability, but no deep dives into the CLI required, which suits me just fine.

THE PROBLEM
The only problem was MAMP Pro 2.1.1 would not connect to MySQL. <Ugh> I am not swift with the DB side, so I was stumped, and nervous. I run a lot of websites on my local server for work, and being without MAMP would be a serious hardship. I don’t expect an Apple Genius to know how to fix this, it is a web developer’s problem. So I hit the boards from MAMP to Stack Overflow and everything else I could find. After 3-4 hours of brushing up on MySQL on the Mac I was making no headway at all. I was getting some of my CLI chops back, but otherwise it was a bust.

I narrowed it down to this: I could not locate a running process for mysqld or the file it generates, mysql.sock. MySQL was not running at all. I tried all the advice to find it, kill the process & start it up, but it was not running.

I tried every other suggested fix and root password update I could find. I was hunkering down for a possible reinstall of MySQL when the gods of UNIX smiled upon me and gave me a clue that would lead to my salvation. It started with a suggestion I had seen early on, to delete the following config files from the /Applications/MAMP/db/mysql/ folder:

ib_logfile0
ib_logfile1
ibdata1

But I had tried that a few hours back and it didn’t work. So by now I was batting a big fat zero, and reading up on how to install and configure MySQL from scratch. It was looking like a long Saturday night. That’s when things turned around.

THE FIX
On my journey down the yellow brick terminal road, I was searching for mysql.sock, and I stumbled across a detail I had forgotten from when I first installed MAMP Pro in 2010: With MAMP Pro the publisher puts MySQL db files here: /Library/Application Support/appsolute/MAMP PRO/db/mysql. Even though the original directory is /Applications/MAMP/db/mysql/, when I first installed Pro and had to find the path to the DB for WordPress installs, I figured out this new location.
Well, this location, the one with the actual MySQL data files, also includes the logfiles mentioned above. As I was comparing the MAMP files in both locations, I went ahead and deleted those to see if it would make any difference this time and voila! As MAMP started up, I watched the log and data files get spawned in that location, Apache and MySQL were both running, MAMP was operational, and my local websites were back in action. Woot!

TL;DR
To get MySQL running with MAMP Pro 2.1.1 on a new MBPro 10.8.2, I deleted these files:

/Library/Application Support/appsolute/MAMP PRO/db/mysql/ib_logfile0
/Library/Application Support/appsolute/MAMP PRO/db/mysql/ib_logfile1
/Library/Application Support/appsolute/MAMP PRO/db/mysql/ibdata1

Leave a Comment